Do This – Not That: Coping with Pre Hysterectomy Fear and Anxiety
A hysterectomy is a major surgery, so it can be normal to experience fear and anxiety about your upcoming surgery. Though you may have researched, chosen the best surgeon possible, and planned every detail, your mind may still be racing as your hysterectomy draws closer and closer.
Many HysterSisters have found a variety of ways to help them cope with their fear and anxiety for their hysterectomy. You can try some of their tips to see if they will help you stay focused and less fearful in the coming days.
- Spend time with friends for a girl’s night out before your hysterectomy.
- Clean your house from top to bottom.
- Create a recovery spot.
- Focus on being well again.
- Delegate household tasks to others.
- Prepare meals you can freeze.
- Create a family schedule for at least the initial recovery days.
- Hire help if you don’t have enough volunteers.
- Read about positive experiences.
- Focus on what you can control and try to let go of the rest.
- Make lists you can check off.
- Be informed, but don’t obsess.
- Get a second opinion.
- Spend a day at a spa.
- Breakdown your fears so you can work to conquer them individually.
- Give yourself permission to cry if you need to.
- Pray, meditate, relax.
- Don’t hesitate to share your fears with your doctor.
- Don’t be ashamed to ask for medications to help your nerves in the days leading up to surgery.
- Don’t assume you are the only one who has ever been scared.
- Don’t spend too much time talking to Nervous Nellies.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor questions.
- Don’t focus the majority of your time on the what if’s and negative stories.
- Don’t spend an extensive amount of time researching hysterectomy complications.
- Don’t try to take it all in at once–you can take it step-by-step, one day at a time.
- Don’t turn down any offers of help.
- Don’t lose focus–you are doing this so you’ll have better health.
- Don’t think you have to cope alone–reach out to friends, family, and HysterSisters.
- Don’t underestimate yourself–you can do this!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support. Reprinted with permission: Do This – Not That: Coping with Pre Hysterectomy Fear and Anxiety