Leslie’s Laparoscopic Hysterectomy

Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 46
Location: Chesapeake, VA USA

I suffered from extremely heavy and painful periods since my last child was born in 2001. My periods became so heavy that I would panic and suffered anxiety because I was worried I would leak at work. Every month I was a wreck. And I couldn’t do things with my family on the weekend of my period because the bleeding was so heavy. I talked to my doctor and we decide that I was a good candidate for the Nova Sure ablation procedure. I had this done in May 2010. For the first year, everything was great! I had light periods and the cramps were almost non-existent.

Around August of 2011, I started getting cramps for about two days during my period. Some months, the pain would be so bad I could hardly walk. I made an appointment with my doctor. She scheduled an internal ultrasound but could find nothing wrong. Over the next 5 years, the pain from my period would get so bad that I had to take prescription pain medicine to sleep for those two days. My doctor suggested that I have a hysterectomy but I was too scared and she was so blunt that I didn’t feel comfortable, so I lived with the pain. I went to new doctor and she diagnosed me with Post Ablation Syndrome. She was so understanding and I trusted her so we scheduled my surgery. She answered my 14 million questions too! I was a total nervous wreck for 6 weeks.

The day before my surgery, I was not allowed to eat after 12 noon and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. After all my nervousness and anxiety, that afternoon I became very calm. My surgery was schedule for 7:30 AM and I arrived at the hospital at 5:30 AM. I was taken back about 5:45. The pre-op nurse was great, put me in a beautiful purple paper gown. She was so nice. After I was ready, she called my hubby back to sit with me. About 10 minutes later, the anesthesia doctor came in, I kissed hubby bye, and they wheeled me away. In the OR, they put me on the table and next thing I knew, I was awake in recovery. I stayed there for about an hour or so, again I had a wonderful nurse taking care of me. I remember being really thirsty. My doctor came by and saw me. She said everything was fine but surgery took about an hour longer because of endometriosis around one of my Fallopian tubes. She was able to save both of my ovaries and everything else was great!

They took me to a private room and soon hubby was there. I was not allowed to eat solids because of the extra work my doctor had to do. She wanted me on complete rest for another day. They had removed my catheter from surgery before recovery. About 4, I got up and tried to pee with no success. Partly, I feel because my nurse was hovering over me. I kept trying but my bladder would not cooperate. Finally, they decided to put another catheter in until morning. The nurse made a mistake and put the catheter in my vagina. This was very painful but fortunately, after about 30 minutes of no relief and pain, the doctor on call discovered the mistake and corrected it. I slept most of the night with a pain medicine every 4 hours. The next morning, I walked around the nurses station a few time and was able to pee after that so I could go home! The ride home was a little uncomfortable but I had a small pillow that helped. I was glad to be back in my own house!

The first few days were a little rough. I stayed on my couch watching TV and stayed on time of pain medicine, stool softener and GasX. Trying to sleep on my back was not fun but after a few days, I could maneuver to my side slightly and I slept better. I slowly weened off pain meds by the following Monday. I am allergic to NSAIDS so I could only take Tylenol products which meant I couldn’t take over the counter stuff in addition to Perocet.

My surgery was Tuesday and by Friday I was walking 1/2 mile down the street, very slowly but I was walking. I am a runner and weightlifter so I was anxious to move. My doctor had OK me walking but no running. Each day I walked a little further. By the time my 3 week check up rolled around, I was walking over 2 miles.

My biggest challenges were not overdoing it. I am very active and don’t like depending on other people. I was released to come back to work after week 4. I have a desk job but walk around quite a bit. After 6 weeks, I was running intervals and doing body weight exercises but still taking it each and avoided ab work. After 12 weeks, completely released for sex (that was a LONG 12 weeks) and lifting weights.

I feel so much better since my hysterectomy! No painful periods, no missed workouts and sex is still good! I am very glad I met a great doctor and had this done.

My advice would be to find a good doctor that you trust, research and ask questions. I also meal prepped beforehand. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help. You only get one chance to heal correctly. I listened to my body when something would pull or I would get tired. And follow YOUR doctor’s orders. Mine said complete pelvic rest for 12 weeks…so no sex. That was the hardest part for us but we got through it!

I hope this helps someone! Good luck!

Recent Posts