Susie’s Abdominal Hysterectomy

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer – Stage 1. I did not get a second opinion, once I found out I had cancer I just wanted everything gone. It took almost a year to get diagnosed. My GP brushed my concerns/complaints off many times. I had not had a period in 5 years and was all of a sudden seeing blood again. She did a pap test which came back normal so she said i guess your menstruation has returned, congratulations. I convinced her to refer me to my gynecologist. He was terrific, and fit me in as an add-on at the hospital for a uterine biopsy. When that came back positive he again rushed me in for a d&c for staging the cancer. Then for the hysterectomy.

I was in the hospital for 3 nights. They used an epidural with morphine injection in my back. When I woke up, I could not feel my legs for about 8 hours. Could not move them . The morphine in the injection stays in your system for 24 hours. That along with Tylenol did a fair job of pain control. They had pressure cuffs on my legs that massaged the calves to help prevent clots.

After the morphine wore off, I was prescribed Percocet. They made me really ill. They made me feel terrible. I had to stop taking them. So the only pain medication I could take was Tylenol. The nurses and doctor were fantastic. Very reassuring , informative and competent.

It was very hard to get up or sit down. I found I had to use my arms a lot as I couldn’t use any stomach muscles. I wished I could take something other than Tylenol. It didn’t quite control pain. I ate a lot of fiber, fruit, vegetables, water as my bowel function still has not returned to normal. I was afraid as the cervix was removed what that would mean for intimate relations.

Recovering seems to take a long time. I found it frustrating. Not being able to move the way I want to. Not being able to walk far. Being exhausted. I am still exhausted. Doctor told me 8 weeks return to normal activities.

I am tired, but glad I had a hysterectomy.

Look in to products that may help. I didn’t know about binders and I really think that would have helped. I am really attached to my hot water bottle. Talk to your doctor. Make sure you have all the information. The first two weeks seemed the worst. Take your time healing.

Recent Posts